1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Core and chop Golden Delicious apples into about ½ inch pieces. If you love cooked apples, you can use 6 apples in this recipe. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
2. Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt over apples. Mix together with a spoon or your hand, until all apple pieces are coated with cinnamon sugar mixture.
3. Spray 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray, and then pour apples into pan. Spread into an even layer.
4. Sprinkle cake mix over apples, gently shake pan so cake mix evenly spreads out over apples. Drizzle melted butter over cake mix, ensuring all mix is covered with butter as uncovered mix will be dry and crumbly after baked. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the cake mix is golden brown.
5. Serve with vanilla ice cream and pecans if desired.